Aug 30, 2012

Review: Hack Job - 2011




Hack Job
Director: James Balsamo
2011
Comedy/Horror

The Devil gives a great moviescript to the two loser filmmakers James Argento and Mike Fulci.

This might as well be the most stupid film I’ve ever seen! Having that said I think I need to state the fact that it doesn’t necessarily need to be a bad thing. It’s a hilarious movie most of the time just because of the fact that it’s stupid. It goes all over the place and that’s also the main problem with it. I would have liked it to stay in one premise. You don’t have to bring everything you can think of together: zombies, monster, aliens, Nazis, you name it!

The effects sucks most of the time but I’ll add a little kudos for the self irony. I get the feeling that there are more ambitions than pretentious, that’s even if I can’t say I find it ambitious at all. It must have been done on a real shoestring budget and it shows. The picture is unsharp and damaged due to cheep filming equipment I think, the editing is bad and the acting is way over the top. There’s gore in it and the movie makes a point over this plenty of times. It also makes a point of the tits but I‘d say both of these are in the movie for the hell of it. They don’t really add anything.

This will be one of the shortest reviews I’ve written in a while but I’m more or less lost for words. I can’t really tell what it’s about and to me it’s just scenes jammed together. On the upper hand I find lots of cool oneliners and references to other movies and stuff. For the most of the time I might be over analyzing it but it’s clear that James Balsamo is a real movie buff with a lot of knowledge and experience in film viewing. 

Oh yes... Lloyd Kaufman appears a few times and might very well be the best actor in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment